Saturday, September 5, 2009

World Turning

This past Friday marked several milestones here in the land of FotoFink-  The start of the fall soccer season, the the start of the 4th year for the FotofFink website, the first time I have missed the Holy Redeemer/Bishop Hoban opener in almost a decade, and more to the point, the first game that I've shot specifically for the Coughlin boys.  Time marches on- children graduate, new contacts are made, business is business-  World Turning.  It is the way it should be.

For those of you new to FotoFink, this is my blog.  This is where I rant a bit, pretend to report on games, make some smart-alecky comments and offer some insight into the pictures I've taken.  At the end of every post there is a link to the gallery of shots that I am referring to, and the entire FotoFink website.  Some of you may wish to read this, some not.  Either way is fine with me- in fact, part of me would prefer if you just went to the pictures and got out your credit card to order some.  Suit yourself.

Friday's opener saw the Crusaders from Coughlin host the Tigers from Tunkhannock.  Judging from the pre-season hardware that the Crusaders have accumulated, some have said that they are the team to beat- so expectations are high for the season.  Give the Tigers some credit for this game, however, as they managed to keep things uncomfortably close for the home squad.  Certainly the visitors benefited from some of the official's calls- scoring on a penalty kick and stopping more than one run by Coughlin with offside whistles, but no matter how they did it, this game was knotted at 1 well into the second half.  Dominating the play doesn't always win soccer matches, but in this case the home side prevailed with a 2-1 victory.

A few comments before the picture links-

To find pictures in prior seasons, you are pretty much stuck paging through the older galleries.  You may find some shots in there, as some of the Coughlin parents have been buying shots for a while now.  This year, I have tried to mark each picture with keywords to help searching.  In theory, you can type your player's first name into the search box and be directed to pictures that only include him (or her).  In practice, I do not yet know everyone's name, and some of the players are quite inconsiderate and do not turn their jersey numbers to the camera while I am shooting.  In addition, you have too many Brians, Johns & Jordans on this team, so they are all going to be mixed into the search results.  Some parents managed to anticipate this problem-  FotoFink thanks go out to the parents of Sergey, Roque, and of course, Elvis.

I am going to really hope that Elvis has a sense of humor, because I could have quite a good time with that as the season progresses-  Common sense says "C'mon FotoFink, Don't Be Cruel", but lets face it- Fools Rush In.  I'll stop here for now- before we get All Shook Up.

Speaking of old music- These post titles are all taken from my vinyl LP collection, which I am slowly (very slowly) converting to digital format.  This is a project the will probably take the rest of my natural life, but it gives me something to tie into with these entries.  You can feel free to ignore these references if you want, or you can enjoy with me the trip back through my record buying years- the 1970's up to the death of vinyl in the mid 80's or so.  I am obviously on Fleetwood Mac right now, and working my way alphabetically to Warren Zevon.  Expect a long, strange trip.

That feels like about enough out of me for now.  As you look through the pictures, naturally I hope you will purchase some.  I try to keep my prices well below the market that is set by the local papers or studios, in hopes that you will buy early and often.  I know that there are some players who seem to show up in every shot, but hopefully as the season goes on I will be able to get everyone in action.  If you have a particular player that you really want a lot of shots of, or if you have any comments or questions for me, feel free to find me at a game (Schedules can change, but it looks like I will be at the Crestwood game on Wednesday the 9th) or send me a note- sfinkernagel@hotmail.com.

Shots from the game are here.

The whole site is here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment