Sunday, October 18, 2009

Melissa


Regular readers will know that volleyball has a special place here at FotoFink.  Two of my sons played, so I became a bit of a fan (although I still don't understand all the rules), and from a photographic standpoint, dark gyms and fast action present challenges that I have come to enjoy.  Knowing all this, it is no surprise really that our staff was out shooting the HoRe/DeVa volleyball match- two undefeated teams, nearing the end of the season, this was as big as they come in that regard.  What might be surprising though, is why this post is titled for one of the opponents players?  Who is this Melissa?

There are two reasons, really.  First, in keeping with my theme of post titles that match my analog-to-digital music conversion project, it give me a chance to throw in some Allman Brothers.  That's never a bad idea.  Second, in watching this game, there was something strangely familiar about #6, but I couldn't quite put a finger on it.  Then it hit me.  This past spring, at the boy's match, DeVa brought a line judge that caught the attention of all the healthy young males on the squad (Check out the 5th paragraph on this entry for my comments at the time).  This line judge was, of course, Melissa, now returning in an arguably more important role.  After such an important mental victory for me, I had to include a reference here.

Many of you already know how the game went- The Lady Royals swept the best-of-five match in three straight to put them solely in first place with just a few games remaining.  This looks to be a strong year for the girls, so an extended season seem likely.  The girls clearly have high expectations, as the celebration for this victory was about as exciting as watching the snow fall.  I'll say that the muted response is actually a good thing- this was just another day at the office for a very good team.  There will be plenty of excitement ahead.

Judging from the stands, these girls have caught the eye of lots of the Royal faithful.  It's especially exciting when the letters come out.  One idea- next time, give the S to Olivia Z, or someone in the same row as the rest of the word.  At least Mr. Booth was there this time to check the spelling.

Diesel is clearly impressed.

I took this shot to make a point, but then I got too excited while I was cropping it and spoiled it- I'll try to save it here.  What you can't see is the point total for HR- at this moment it was seven, although when I first turned to take the shot it was six.  What you can see it the number of kills for Monica- five.  Of the first six points, Monica had five of them from kills.  That's impressive.  Most of the better teams will do some scouting before the match, but really, everyone in the room knows where this set is going.  It's a credit to Monica and this team that opponents just can't seem to stop it.

I haven't been able to get as many shots of Alyssa as I would have liked so far this season, but I made up some ground at this match.  I even managed to get Mom in the blurred out background of this shot.  I think I also wrenched my arm patting myself on the back for it.

Here's the good stuff-

Game Pictures.

All the Pictures.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment