Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring has Sprung


I know that the calendar may say I am a few days early. Joe Snedeker will say I am a few days late. Here at FotoFink HQ, the first sign of spring is obvious- Boys Volleyball! Granted, today's action was just a scrimmage, and meaningful games are still about a week away, but nonetheless, we are on the doorstep of the mud season (Thanks to my fellow Smugmugger for that shot).

The scrimmage was something of a unique volleyball experience. Games were timed rather than tracked by points. The dress code for uniforms was obviously relaxed (C'mon there Snoop, get with the team!). Referees were plentiful. Most importantly, there was three hours of pretty much non-stop volleyball for our staff to keep busy with (take note, WVW) . Since scores were only loosely kept, it was difficult to determine who "won" the day, but your Royals made a good showing, matching up with teams from Freedom, Liberty, Whitehall & Dieruff for some spirited play.

The picture at the top of this post is of my son Jimmy. I usually try to post a shot in that spot that shows great action, is exciting, or at least interesting in some way. This is actually one of my favorites of Jim- unlike most of the shots I get, he's playing a game and I can't see his boxers.

As an added bonus, I was able to take a few important lessons away with me from the games-

1. Brian May hits hard. Do you see how he is smiling a little in that shot? That's because he knows the ball is about to hit our best (only) photographer. Note to self- Bring a longer zoom lens next time.

2. I know that someday I will get old. My hair will turn gray, and I just may be vain enough to want to dye it back to some lovely shade of Elvis black. If I choose to do so, I should remember to do it often enough to avoid the Pepe' Le Pue stripe.

3. When PJ stretches in his special way, he has an impressive chest. By impressive chest, I don't mean in the "Arnold Schwarzenegger" way.

4. The only thing that looks sillier than a mohawk is a partially-grown back mohawk. Add some futuristic goggles, and you have a really unique look.

5. Six years of watching volleyball, and the rules still confuse me. Apparently, sometimes this is not a carry.


OK. I've had an awful lot of fun at other's expense with this post, so before the karma train comes back to get me, onto the entire gallery of pictures here.

The entire site is here, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment