Tuesday, March 30, 2010

(I Just Want To) Hang Around With You

Saturday was a long day of shooting for our staff.  The day started with a baseball tournament at Hanover, then moved over to the soccer matches at the Valley West turf field.  Once soccer wrapped up, our well-connected staff got word that HR was due up again in the nightcap of the quad-header, so it was back to Hanover for one more set.  One of the baseball parents noticed that it was a long day for our weary shooter, and wondered why anyone would do such a thing- the answer, of course, was that I just want to hang around with you.

Actually, as crazy as it seemed to run back and forth all day taking pictures, one might think it''s even more nutty to stay in one place, watching games on the same patch of grass for the entire day.  But what do I know.  I'm just a bag of bones, with no proper point of view.

Readers of the last post were promised some details on the brief brush with fame that involved Robert Hazard, so sadly for you baseball fans, your post has to relay that bit of FotoFink triva-

Flash back to 1982, University of Delaware.  A much younger FotoFink was struggling to balance the workload of a civil engineering major with a taste for nightlife and parties.  (Note that engineering lost that battle).  Michael Jackson was not only alive, but he wasn't weird yet, and was single-handedly saving the music business.  CD's were new- very new, so mostly we still had scratchy old albums and party tapes instead of IPod playlists.  Robert Hazard had burst out on the Philly music scene, along with bands such as the Hooters, Witness, and Beru Review.  The Robert Hazard and the Heroes EP was pretty much a local phenomena, so when he played U of D, it was a big deal.  Through a friend who had ties to the university newspaper, the FF circle of friends actually got to spend the night of the concert partying with Robert's daughter, Corrina.  Before your mind starts in with any wild, rock-star in the '80's party ideas, let's clarify-  Corrina was maybe 12 at the time.  It was more babysitting than partying.  Nevertheless, I was in the presence of someone related to someone who was modestly famous for a brief period of time.  If that happened today, I could probably leverage that into a "Dancing with the Stars" appearance- or at least "Celebrity Fit Club".  In spite of my awe, I managed to keep my cool long enough to ask her to sign her dad's album for me- which she graciously did.  Silly enough, but the Robert Hazard EP is one of the jewels in my record collection as a result.

In researching all the dates and such, I discovered that Robert passed away in 2008.  My condolences to my old friend Corrina, who, by the way, I have not seen since that night in 1982.

On to baseball, yes?

Once again, our staff made valiant efforts to name everyone, but there are always a few of you who don't look the same in your baseball caps as you do in school.  Feel free to comment to fill in the gaps.

I am no expert, but I am thinking he should have swung at that.

Relax.  Christian has it under control.

He's back in time.

That's a 3 run shot.  Was almost enough to win the game.

In case you are more interested in pictures than my rants-  Here's where you can go-

Game photos

FotoFink Photos

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment