Friday, October 30, 2009

New Beginning


It is a certainty in sports that all seasons end.  For a team without playoff opportunities, the timing of the end is known in advance.  For teams that make playoffs, the end usually comes with a loss, and is usually hard to swallow.  Both of these points held true for the Lady Royals on Tuesday, as they dropped an overtime thriller to Tunkhannock by a 1-0 margin. 

Although I am far from an expert in Field Hockey (really, really far) this game didn't seem to be headed towards this ending.  HR seemed to control most of the play through regulation, but just couldn't finish.  I was attempting to get pictures of Courtney, our goalie, and found that there were very few times that the ball was near her.  As the game headed to overtime, it felt like another day at the office for the Royals- they'd been to OT six times during the year, winning five of them.  This looked to be just one more.  To my surprise, it was Tunkhannock who capitalized on an opportunity in extra time, and ended HR's season with a jolt.

I know what you are all thinking- all this talk about ending, how is he going to wrap this around to a New Beginning?  Thanks for asking-


It didn't take long for me to get an impression of this team this year.  I had been to only a few Field Hockey games before this, but even I could tell that there was something afoot here.  After a one-win season last year, this team started out with a new coaching staff, some new players (thanks to transfers and graduations from 8th grade) and a new attitude.  As much as this season is over, I sense that this season was just the first step of  a new beginning, one where Redeemer competes at the top of this conference instead of the bottom.  Time will tell.


For now, the senior girls enjoyed more success than their prior class did.  The younger girls have a lot to look forward to, including some off-season training.  Tunkhannock earned the right to be Lehman's first step towards greatness (How about that article, and the line about the Lehman goalie who should have brought her homework to the game!  Judging from the comments, the Tunkhannock parents were not so amused).  Perhaps most importantly, we all have time now to support the 7th & 8th grade team, which is making a deep run into their post-season.


A few quick thoughts-


This game was sloppy- not so much from a skill standpoint, but from a dirty muddy mess standpoint.  That makes for more interesting pictures though.  It also makes it a really bad day to lose a shoe.


Fittingly, I am able to close out this season with yet another unflattering picture of Kelly Dougherty.  I promise that I am not trying, but it's becoming amusing.  To me anyway.  Hopefully Kelly is on board with that too-  we all have our moments.


I am not so sure that I would call it unflattering, but let's just hope that this is not Allie's best side...


If there was ever any doubt that these girls play hard (there wasn't) these pictures ought to cast that aside- have a look at Marnie and Ashley in those shots.


Someday, the alien mothership is going to land, and come across a field hockey goalie.  This should be enough for them to turn around and pick another planet to invade.


Finally, a word of thanks.  I am grateful for the warm welcome this team has provided me, and the support that you have shown here by buying pictures.  Shooting the games, and getting to know some of you has been a lot of fun for me, and I hope you are all happy with the way things worked out.  In addition to some picture sales, I have also come to enjoy a new appreciation of this sport.  Next season we work on the rules....


Game pics are here.


FotoFink is here.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!you have a intresting blog.I like ice hockey too.And soccer,basketball,and many sports.Welcame to visit my blog.Jani from Finland!

    ReplyDelete