Thursday, September 17, 2009

Over My Head

It took a few weeks, but things are starting to feel "backed up" here at the cozy mountain retreat.  When I looked ahead last week, it seemed like this might be a slow time for pictures, but it was not to be.  A schedule change allowed me to squeeze in a Crestwood Middle School game on Monday, which, of course, turned out to be two games.  After that, my family miraculously arranged for their own transportation about town, so "while I was out" (that expression never leads to anything good-  it's like "We need to talk") I was able to stop by Crestwood High School and catch the varsity match that evening.  Add to that the team and individual photos for the Crestwood teams on Tuesday, and my empty week was quickly filling, leaving me quite a lot of editing to do.

This late after the matches, a recap seems unnecessary- let me just say that it was a good day to be a Crestwood fan, and Hazleton must have felt like the bug.  It was a nice turn of events from the varsity team's last outing.

Some thoughts-

You may notice that I did not name any of the middle school players- here's what I heard at the field on Tuesday-

Mrs. R-  "These numbers on the roster don't match up to your names"

Player- "Oh yeah.  Some numbers have two players that use them"


Mrs. R-  "That's confusing"


Player-  "Some of the numbers are different on the red and white jerseys too"


It seems foolish to even have numbers.  Considering how far behind I feel, this was not a task for me to embark on.  You'll have to page through that gallery and enjoy all of the shots.


Some of the middle school kids have great hair.  I am thinking that there is a Separated at Birth candidate or 2 in there.

Soccer is fun to shoot because there are lots of odd positions that get twisted into while they play.  This young gentleman is perhaps the best example I have seen in a while.  Love the hand positions.

I am experimenting a bit with flash photography at the night games.  If you are into this at all, you will know that it is not as easy it first seems.  The flashed shots have a different feel to them- If they are done right, the subjects are crisp and clear, but there are sometimes some odd shadows and the backgrounds are often very dark.  I'll keep doing both for a while and see how it goes.  Leave a comment here if you have any strong feelings on the issue.

Speaking of comments- I had my first one last week!  I feel sooo important.

Nothing to do with sports or photography, but RIP Mary Travers.  I was fortunate enough to see one of her last shows this past spring at the Kirby.  It was a strange evening- laughable, sad, and yet heroic.

I have no interest in turning this into another memorial post, but while I am at it- Patrick Swayze and Henry Gibson deserve mention as well.  Rough week.  By the way, it was hard to find those links-  I can't believe there is not a better quality version of the Chippendales skit, and I couldn't find any of Henry's poems anywhere.  As it is, he only has a few small parts in that clip, but 8 minutes of Laugh-In never hurt anyone.
Extra links today-

Middle School games

Varsity game

FotoFink

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment