Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Put A Spell On You


It's hard to explain the games at Whitehall High School on Tuesday night without considering hexes, jinxes, or spells. Hore faced Becahi in the preliminary round of the state tournament, the winner would earn a trip to Penn State for the quarterfinals, and the loser would have some extra time to study for finals. Your Royals cruised through the first two games, chanting their way to convincing wins. Then....

Well- Choose your curse for an explanation of the next 2 games. Becahi won game three fairly easily. Hore led late into game four, then couldn't finish it off and lost a close one. What looked like an easy night was then headed to a game five- fifteen points to decide the season, with all the momentum on the Hawks side.

For those of us looking for more Royal volleyball this season, game 5 was a welcome relief. Fewer errors, and a more effective attack led HR to a victory that seemed like it should have been a lot easier. Easy or hard, a win is a win, just as last week a loss was a loss. The end result- Penn State on Friday, for the first time as Holy Redeemer.

A few hours later, now that my heart is out of my throat, here are a few thoughts-

I still don't like chanting, but I don't dislike it quite as much. It clearly rallies the team.

Becahi = Worst uniforms ever? I am pretty sure that this guy brought me the ShamWows I ordered at Christmas. What can Brown do for you?

Diesel has to be thinking "If there was one more chair, I could sit too"

Check out Mike Desciak, making the Mike Zurek face-of-the-day.

Nice.

Regarding the title, I am cheating a bit, since I am not quite up to CCR yet in my project. I couldn't find anything appropriate from Phil Collins, so I looked ahead a little. I never saw CCR live, since I was 10 when they broke up (It's nice to be too young for something). I do have some fond memories of seeing a cover/tribute band several times at some local venues (bars). Does anyone else remember a band called Revival, that played at The Station, and Cook's? The Station had a spin-the-wheel-for-drink-prices happy hour that sometimes interfered with my enjoyment of the music though.

Here's what you need-

Game

Site

See you on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment