Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm Amazed

This past week looked to be packed with shooting opportunities- until winter returned.....  I'm amazed at how little the actual week resembled the original plans.  Saturday was the prime example-

Originally, there looked to be three separate events to shoot on Saturday- Holy Redeemer baseball, Holy Redeemer Girls Soccer, and Wilkes tennis.  Concerns ran through the halls of FotoFink-how can we be in three places at once?  I can't, of course, so up went the bat signal to summon some help, in the form of additional shooters.  No small feat considering little (no) pay, the only benefit is the experience of shooting, and it works best if you have your own gear.  No surprise that its hard to find help.  After pulling strings, calling in favors, and making promises, a staff was in place to handle the onslaught.  ..  Then... after all that...... If you live here in NEPA,  you know how this ends.  One by one (First Friday baseball, then Saturday- baseball, tennis and soccer, in that order) everything was postponed or outright canceled- which really doesn't help the already-crowded-rest-of-the-Spring schedule at all....

The week was not a total loss, of course. Monday brought us to a doubleheader of womens' softball at Wilkes, Which, while cold and damp, was at least held.  As usual with the Wilkes shots, they went right to the athletic department and are not available for sale here.  There are a few samples on facebook though- but I believe you have to be a facebook person to view that.  Really though- If you are not a facebook person by now, shouldn't you be?  Furthermore- while you are there, shouldn't you join the FotoFink group?

In another case, the weather worked to my favor- I had left a Holy Redeemer track meet off my schedule, as it was originally slated for Monday (two places at once and all...) but the powers that be decided to move that one to Tuesday- which gave me the chance to be there and capture some pre-season action.

I am sure I have mentioned this before- but a track meet, to me, is like a three ringed circus.  There is always something going on, and there is always the feeling that I should be somewhere else at the event to capture it.  Picture this- in ring one, the track itself is almost always in use- hurdles, running, whatever.  In ring two, there are jumpers- high, long, triple (oh how I wish we had pole....)- who seem to have only a vague sense of schedule at  most meets.  Ring three- throwers- discus, javelin, shotput.  Ring three is especially tricky, because it is rarely in sight of the other events.  I generally feel like a dog chasing its tail as I walk around looking for photos.

There would be more links in that last passage if all of those events were run.  Actually- perhaps they were, and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The week ended up on a good note as well- My friends at the Emerald Isle Step Dancing School were on the slate to perform at the benefit for Mackenzie Marx on Saturday night at Rodano's.  Some scheduling issues (I swear they told me 7:00...) resulted in me seeing only part of the show, and the atmosphere was not quite as "Irish" as our last get-together, but in the end, things worked out- there are a few more photos added to their page.

A quick look at the coming week-  Wow....

Monday- Wilkes for Baseball and Lacrosse
Tuesday- Holy Redeemer at Lehman Track
Thursday- Wyoming Area Softball
Friday- Crestwood Volleyball
Saturday- WVW volleyball tournament, Wilkes Tennis
Sunday- Emerald Isle Step Dancers at Pittston High

Sadly, the Ice Breaker Relays are on Saturday, and I don't see any way I can get to that part of the world to get some shots.  Very disappointing, as last year that was a very fun day.  Hope for bad weather maybe, and another reschedule.

Well-  Due to inclement weather... the rest of this post is postponed indefinitely.  Here are a few links-

Wilkes Athletics-  Why not?  You can see lots of FotoFink work on there.

Holy Redeemer Track at Solomon

Emerald Isle Step Dancers at the Mackenzie Marx benefit

The whole enchilada

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment