Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fruitcakes


 Sometimes, it's actually difficult to come up with a theme/song/thread for these posts to follow.  Sometimes, it's beach bash celebration night at Holy Redeemer and these entries practically write themselves.  Once again, I will ask forgiveness while I indulge my Hoban-ness - for me, this is a tradition that reaches back to the Argent Nation, later became the Red Sea, and now- the unstoppable force of Beach Bash 2010.  As much as I am an old-school, traditionalist kind of guy, I have to say that I like the latest version.

Beach bash --> Jimmy Buffett was an easy step.  Why Fruitcakes?  That should be pretty clear too.  Some of these fans definitely came out of the oven a little early.  Major FotoFink props go out to you if you knew there was a lost verse missing from that video- and if you hear the universal laughter ringing out among the stars.

The rowdy show in the stands helped fuel a pretty strong day on the courts- your Royals went 2-1 for the 3 levels of game that I attended, and the varsity was an exciting nail-biter.  Crestwood showed an interesting version of the 2-minute drill (don't shoot/don't tie???  Do we need a shot clock at this level?) but came back strong on the heels of an incredible run of three point shots.  In the end, the fan support carried Redeemer to victory, even without the palm tree.

I had the pleasure of standing next to Mrs. Degnan at the moment that Lou kicked the game winning extra point at the Holy Cross football game.  Tuesday, I ended up next to Mrs. Ell as Zach took the line for some free throws with seconds left and the game on the line.  Some advice-  if you are curious about how nerves can affect a person- don't look at the player who has the game in his hands.  He's fine.  Find the mother of that player, and you will know what nerves can do.

I am constantly amazed by how the camera can catch our athletes in the most embarrassing of moments.  Of course, I am far too immature to leave any of them off the site.  For a while, Jimmy Valentine was the clear winner in this category, but apparently, there is a new contender.....

Apparently, there was some confusion in the house of FotoFink at the time of the last blog entry- there seems to be no basketball this weekend, as originally thought.  Since the real job is forcing me out of town next week (yes- Florida in January!), it looks like the next time out for photos will be Saturday the 30th, for yet another triple-header at the Redeemer gym.  In the meantime-  Have a Very Fruitful Day!







No comments:

Post a Comment