Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Chain


It is with great sadness that we note the passing of another member of the FotoFink community. Lisa De Spirito, who's son Nick is pictured above, was recently taken from us at far too young of an age. That link will take you to her obituary, which seems to have all of the historical information about Lisa.

What is probably not known to most of you is the special link that Lisa provided here at FotoFink. The De Spirito's were neighbors of a family whose son played soccer at Bishop Hoban. This was one of the first years that I started taking photos, at the time it was mostly of my own children, with some others occasionally in the frame, almost by accident. As luck would have it, the Hoban parents were big FotoFink fans- there are a few of you out there who seem to have quite an addiction to the site, and believe me, you are appreciated. Lisa noticed the photos that were on her neighbors wall, and asked where they came from. One thing led to another, and shortly after I was taking pictures at the Crestwood games where her son Nick played. I'll credit that sequence of events with helping me to realize that there is a world outside of Hoban/Redeemer boys soccer. Until then, I was quite content to snap away at my son's games and no others. After a few Crestwood soccer games, I was shooting Jr. High, Field Hockey, Basketball- If you visit the site, you know the rest.

I knew Lisa, but not very well. She was energetic and involved enough to act as my contact person for the Crestwood team. I ran into her on some sidelines, I worked with her to get pictures for the seniors and the senior night program at Crestwood. I believe her daughter played field hockey, and I met her husband a few times at the games. Many of you are probably better suited to write about what a nice person she was- That was certainly the impression I had. I make note of her passing here because of the important role she played in bringing this site to where it is now. She was an important link in "The Chain" of events that brought FotoFink to it's current glory. Whether you knew Lisa or not, if you are somewhere other than Holy Redeemer, or involved in a sport that is not soccer, you are in her debt if you've enjoyed any of the photos on this site.

Nick is a strong player, I suspect he will be an important part of Crestwood's team this fall. I hope the entire De Spirito family will take some comfort in the condolences offered by all of us here in FotoFink land.

No game photos from this post. Here is a poster I made up at Lisa's request, highlighting Nick's games last season. Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment